Monday, July 30, 2007

Israel Day 13

While I'm not always one that needs to experience new things, especially in Israel, to have a good time, most of what we've done so far are things that we did on our trip to Israel last time. However, we wanted to change things up a bit and go somewhere that neither of us had been in a while...the Dead Sea.

We got a late start to the day (a lot of late starts, huh?) since check-in wasn't until 3pm, and we caught a 1pm bus to Ein Bokek. With some of my boxing-out skills at their finest, I was able to secure us a couple of seats on the ride that would take over 2 hours, despite the fact that we were at the end of the line. I kind of felt bad for the people that had to stand the whole ride, but not bad enough to give up my seat. Anyway, the ride took entirely too long due to a lot of annoying stops along the way and people who take 30 years to get their luggage off from underneath the bus. Finally, a little after 3pm, we arrived. Now, we didn't have too much planned for this little overnight aside from relaxing at the pool and at the Dead Sea beach, so we got right to it.

Unfortunately, the pool water was very warm; a little too warm to find enjoyable, so we quickly made our way over the beach. I was expecting the water to be warm, but not the (literally) 95 degrees that the water was. It literally felt like getting into a hot tub...but there was something about the whole setting that made the beach much more bearable than the pool. The water, albeit hot, was very calm and I just laid on my back, at the mercy of the salty water, for a good while. We were able to catch a good 3-4 hours of sun before we had to call it a night. Too lazy to make the 3km trip to the mall, we opted to eat in at the hotel; one of these all-you-can-eat buffet things. Being that we hadn't really eaten lunch that day and, well, the fact that it was all-you-can-eat led to a large quantity of great food consumed by the both of us and neither of us being able to move from our chairs for about 30 minutes after finishing. After finally prying ourselves from the dinner table, we retreated to our room where we watched most of the IBL all-star game.

To end off the night we took a little walk on the beach before being overcome by the 90 degree weather, despite the fact that it was after 11pm. More on day 2 of our outing in the next post....


Post a Comment

<< Home