Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Valentines Day

I won't be celebrating Valentines Day tomorrow. Perhaps it's for the following reason; perhaps it's because I'm cheap.

The calendar has days built into it where we recognize those around us. Mothers Day. Fathers Day. Valentines Day. Heck, there's even National Secretary's Day. While I'm certainly not opposed to recognizing those who mean a lot to us, I think setting aside one day is a B'dieved situation. I think that when we put so much emphasis on one day, it is likely that we under-appreciate these individuals on the other 364 days a year. If we treated our parents like we should during the whole year, we would probably feel less compelled to buy them a nice present. But, heck, when you neglect those who are important to you, buying a nice present is almost mandatory to make up for the lack of attention in the past year.

I would like to think that a religion that values Shalom Bayis and Kibbud Av v'Eim so highly wouldn't need to single out Mothers/Fathers Day or Valentines Day. Interestingly, the secular world, which values these holidays so highly, is the same secular world in which there is an ever-growing divorce rate and a world which is no stranger to familial strife.

Tell your spouse that you love him/her tomorrow. Just do it the day after, and the day after that, and the day after that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous aishel said...

I guess that means you don't celebrate Thanksgiving or watch football on that day?

7:35 PM, February 13, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Sure I do. I sit around and eat a big meal with my family and watch football. We don't go around and say "I'm thankful for this and that...". It's a family day for us, not a day of thanksgiving.

7:39 PM, February 13, 2007

 
Blogger nyfunnyman said...

also chukas akum- but i'm sure u knew that

8:30 PM, February 15, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home