Friday, February 16, 2007

A Few Whisky Related Things

1. I have become somewhat friendly with the Nigerian security officer that scans my badge each morning, granting me access to the facilities here at work; we shmooz for a minute or so each day. I asked this morning how he was dealing with the cold weather, to which he told me that he wished he had some “hot wine.” I didn’t really understand what he was talking about, but he repeated his yearning for some more of the “hot wine that [I] gave [him]. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that he was talking about the Speyburn 10 that I got him for the holidays, and that the “hot wine” he was referring to was this scotch whisky. Interestingly, in halacha, liquor is referred to as “Yayin Saraf/burning wine.” Baruch she’Kivanto.


2. Someone had told me that their friend related to them that when they went to a local liquor store to buy a Glenlivet 15 – French Oak, they were told by the Indian owner that they shouldn’t buy it as per his discussions with a rabbi who told him that it wasn’t kosher. Presumably, the Rabbi was under the assumption that the “French Oak” casks that the Glenlivet is finished in previously held French wine. However, upon looking at the label one realizes that the French Limousin casks used to finish the whisky are “new”, meaning they have previously never held any liquid, thus alleviating any issue with non-Kosher wine. L’chaim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home