Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pool Saga

Now that I think about it, I've never been on vacation with so many other frum Jews. So, after spending the morning at the pool, I have to say that it is quite interesting to note how people approach going to the pool on vacation. Let me just start out by saying that I am in no way judging that which anyone does; I am merely pointing out what I witnessed. Obviously, I was at the pool myself, so I'm not all righteous.

I imagine that a large percentage of the frum people staying here wouldn't be seen dead at a co-ed pool in their hometowns, and most frum people staying here probably wouldn't go to the co-ed pools here either, either. That being said, I did see plenty of other frum people at the pool, and the following are all things that I witnessed.

1. Very frum looking couple, appear to be in their fifties. Man has long beard, woman is dressed in sheitel, long skirt, long sleeve shirt. Upon settling down, woman remains in her tznius garb, but bearded man takes off his shirt and sits in the sun barechested with bathing suit on.

2. Woman comes out with her children wearing long skirt, longsleeve shirt, and snood on her hair. Upon settling down, woman takes off long sleeve shirt leaving her taking in the sun wearing a long skirt, bikini top, and snood.

3. Woman wearing skirt and short sleeve shirt comes out with her modern looking, tzitzis flying husband, and takes off short sleeve shirt and skirt, leaving her basking in the sun with a 2-piece bikini on.

4. 23 year old guy comes out with shorts and a tshirt on, removes shirt, leaving him with just a pair of shorts and a kippa on. He goes on to listen to Jewish music on his iPod and learn about the Parsha in the Imrei Baruch.

OK, the last one was me. Anyway, I just found in fascinating the different approaches to going to a co-ed pool that I encountered. I'm guessing this happens any place where frum people go for vacation - I just hadn't encountered it myself, until today.

13 Comments:

Blogger SaraK said...

Didn't you know G-d takes His vacations in places other than Miami and the Bahamas? It's vacation for heaven's sake! Of course a shaitel wearing woman can wear a bikini, I mean, come on!

2:56 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Like I said..I'm not judging.

3:29 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Greg said...

Funny! Makes you just want to grab them and throw them in the pool already.

And a good example of how religion (and people) is almost 100% motivated by social pressure.

5:04 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous aishel said...

#2 is hysterical!

5:32 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, what were #2's dimensions?

8:34 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean measurements, anonymous?

8:35 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Yes I do.

8:35 PM, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Bots member said...

The only issue with #1 is that the guy would be looking at women in a state of undress.

I totally agree with the person who said much of what people is based on social pressure. I'm curious if the women who got into their swim suits did it realizing you (or anyone else Jewish) was there?

10:08 AM, January 19, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

The place was crawling with frummies...no way they couldn't have known.

10:15 AM, January 19, 2007

 
Blogger fashionista said...

Haha, I'm cracking up, I love it. Going to the Shabbaton this weekend?

3:41 PM, January 21, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhhh...pics please

2:22 PM, January 22, 2007

 
Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

You should try one of those Jewish singles cruises. Then you'd see some "what happens on the boat, stays on the boat."

9:42 AM, January 28, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Good though, Esther, although I'm not sure my WIFE would approve...

:)

9:45 AM, January 28, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home