Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Latest Chapter in the OIB Novel

Penny and Greg have both previously about their OIB experiences, and I was beginning to feel left out. Thankfully, I had my very own, personalized OIB experience which I feel compelled to share.

We received a couple presents for our wedding from a local merchant, and returned many of them and subsequently amassed a nice store credit. The store credit, for the most part, has just sat there for the previous 18 months of our marriage. Recently it dawned on us that we should use that store credit to by presents for our friends that get married. Anyway, I trek there last week and find something nice for a couple of our good friends that are getting married shortly. I take it to the overly-talkative lady at the front and she starts wrapping it up, and then asks the, apparently innocuous, queston, "Who's the gift for? " Seeing no reason to lie, I told her it was for a good friend's wedding present. To my astonishment, I was told that I could only use a certain percentage of my store credit on this present and would have to pay the rest in cash/credit. She explained that since I returned gifts that were intended for my use, I cannot use the credit for others' gifts.

Getting creative, I told her that I changed my mind and I suddenly decided that I wanted the present for myself, but she wasn't having that. I then, basically, freaked out and went on a rant about how it is my credit with which to do whatever I want and how I can't be told what I can use a credit for, etc. Finally, she relented.

Only in Baltimore.

10 Comments:

Anonymous peninah said...

that really is an OIB. So silly. I am glad you didn't relent and that it worked for you.

10:37 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger SaraK said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe it. What an OIB. I never heard of such a thing.

10:51 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Anonymous Erica said...

OMG - maybe it was the same store that something similar happened to us. We got two of something and returned one to this store but since we don't live in Baltimore it took us a while to get to that store. When we actually managed to get there it happened to be right after the holiday that this seasonal item we were returning was used for. Instead of saying "ok well this item sells for this much, we will give you this much credit" they said "why did you bring it back right after the holiday? Did you use it? Now we can't sell it for full price etc. etc." So finally they gave us credit for some lesser "sale" amount but we happened to be in the store a few weeks later and see our "sale item" up for "sale" at full price, about $15 more than the credit they gave us - what the heck?

10:51 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Anonymous aishel said...

Yikes, I think I used to work there.

11:27 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

You sure? I don't think so...that's just weird if you did.

11:29 AM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger nyfunnyman said...

if it makes you feel any better, i would have gone completely nuts. in fact, i would love to have ben there b/c i love arguing with people over arbitrary rules. i also would have asked to see a manager, and muttered under my breath "wow, wait until the shul hears about this one" or something like that. especially, if at the time you returned it they never made that stipulation.

but i resent the fact that you think it is an OIB. people have arbitrary rules all over the place and i can tell you numerous rediculous rules i have encountered here in NY. in fact, i would have suspected the opposite of Baltimore regarding this rule.

2:09 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Anonymous peninah said...

I think the OIB is more that people (not alanlaz) would stand for that kind of behavior and be all "OK, whatever..."

Did I ever mention my year long boycott of a certain bagel store in town when it first opened? Well, they refused to serve me a mini- bagel because I wasn't a kid. They lost my business until I heard that they started selling them to adults. These places are ridiculous.

2:53 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Manager...right...

3:15 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Anonymous aishel said...

Alan, yeah, i did a 3 month stint there.

7:52 PM, January 03, 2007

 
Blogger fashionista said...

Haha, we also had an interesting experience there. Lets just say we're never going back there again.

6:10 PM, January 06, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home