Monday, November 06, 2006

First New York Shabbos

Well, I survived. And, believe it or not, I throughly enjoyed my first Shabbos ever spent in NY/NJ, ever. That could be because I went in with extremely low expectations after hearing reports from friends about snobbiness of 5-towners; or, it may actually be because I enjoyed myself. I tend to think it was the latter.

We stayed in what is offically Cedarhurst, and ventured over to Woodmere to daven Friday night at Aish Kodesh, named after the Piaseczna rav's sefer. Not only was the shul aesthetically pleasing, the davening was truly amazing. At many shuls that sing Yedid Nefesh before Kabbalas Shabbos, the song seems to have become more of a chore than communal song. Anyway, it was evident by the intent by which this was said that davening there is taken very seriously. Of course, amazing words by the Rav, Rav Moshe Weinberger, and the wonderful smell of expensive cologne didn't hurt either.

Shabbos morning we davened at Young Israel Lawrence/Cedarhurst at a "Young Couples Minyan", which is basically a glorified youth minyan for marrieds. Nevertheless, the shul was also aesthetically pleasing and the crowd was very friendly; I even received an Aliyah. The short afternoon was spent reading and sleeping, and we ended off our trip with a Motzei Shabbos trip to Central Perk. We had originally planned to come home Sunday, but with the NYC causing traffic havoc, we opted to leave Saturday night.

And, while it appears I have not reached celebrity blogger status due to my going unnoticed in the 5 Towns, all may not be lost for me; I was mentioned in this article (titled "Blogging as Journalism"). Woo hoo!

7 Comments:

Anonymous peninah said...

the most important question is, where did you eat in NYC?

I am glad you had a nice time. Mazel tov on your new status of having been to NY for shabbos. You are officially a frum jew.

10:49 AM, November 06, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Nope - did not eat in NYC, although I have before. We didn't make it out of the 5 Towns.

10:54 AM, November 06, 2006

 
Anonymous peninah said...

Oh, I didn't read the post clearly. I thought you said Central Park (and I actually thought that was a huge waste of a Saturday night, if you went into the city and went to a stupid park and not a restaurant).

11:56 AM, November 06, 2006

 
Anonymous BOTS member said...

I have been to several places for shabbos in NY/NJ and I consider myself lucky if anyone even acknowledges my presence, much less says "good shabbos." I guess you really are something special to get an aliyah. Maybe they did recognize you and wanted to keep it a secret.

I hate NY. The less time there the better.

2:23 PM, November 06, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Yikes. I think this is exactly what I was expecting, but a bunch of people came up to me, asked if I was new to community or just visiting, asked where I was from, where I was staying, etc.

2:26 PM, November 06, 2006

 
Blogger BubbyT said...

How did the examiner find you?

4:23 PM, November 06, 2006

 
Blogger nyfunnyman said...

see, it's not so bad (excluding brooklyn). that being said, i can't wait to move out of here. where should i move?

5:41 PM, November 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home