Sunday, October 01, 2006

Kol Nidre Thought

Many of us have spent the past week asking for our friends and family's forgiveness, as it is well known that Yom Kippur can only help one atone for sins that are between Man and G-d. Therefore, one much request forgiveness from his/her friends in order to completely head into the new year with a clean slate.

One of the highlights of Yom Kippur is Kol Nidre, of which we pray that all vows that we have broken in the past year (or in the year to come, depending on what you hold). If we think about how a broken vow fits into either Man-Man (bein adam l'chavero) sins or Man-Gd (bein adam l'makom), it doesn't really fit into either. If I make a neder that I am only drinking Sprite for the rest of my life; well, this isn't exactly bein adam l'chavero because I am the only person involved. But, also, it is tough to consider it bein adam l'makom on the same level with sins like Avodah Zarah. I consider a broken vow to be in a sort of 3rd category: bein adam l'atzmo (between Man and himself). Essentially, we are being dishonest with ourselves. I tell myself that I'm only going to only drink Sprite, but I'm lying to myself.

I believe that before we can even focus on sins bein adam l'makom or l'chaveiro, we need to make sure we are being honest to ourselves; we need to make sure we've got our bein adam l'atzmo in check. Sure, we can apologize for that which we've done to our friends and to G-d; but if we don't trust ourselves enough to follow through and discontinue this behavior, we will have accomplished nothing. Let's build a foundation of being true bein adam l'atzmo so that our other sins will be more readily accepted this Yom Kippur.

2 Comments:

Blogger BubbyT said...

Good Thought!! Gmar chasima Tova.

3:34 PM, October 01, 2006

 
Anonymous jewchick said...

Wow, beautiful thought.

2:02 PM, October 03, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home