Sunday, October 29, 2006

Good Cop

It appears not all cops are bad. After my last run-in with the law, I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth for law enforcement. That taste will be no longer, however, after my latest run-in. Tonight, while in Frederick, I was pulled over by a cop. He informed me that I was being pulled over for doing 50mph in a 25mph zone. Having seen that trying to sweet-talk a cop hasn't worked in the past, I had no intention to try this time. He asked me how my driving record was, to which I replied, "Pretty good - been a while since my last ticket." I then responded in the negative to his question to whether my license was suspended, revoked, etc. After waiting a few minutes, he handed my license and registration back to him with the sweet words of, "You got a $160 break tonight - just slow down."

Things like this don't happen to me. I was already calculating how much my insurance rates were going to go up when I heard this sweet words. My wife recommended bentching gomel. A few possible reasons he let me off, as offered by friends and myself:
  • he was so happy to pull over a car with upstanding individuals, as opposed to the Frednecks that he had been pulling over all night, all with suspended licenses
  • he looked up my driving record and realized that I REALLY couldn't afford another couple points on my record
  • he was Jewish and helped a fellow member out after seeing my kippa
  • looking at my kippa and felt bad for me for being Jewish
  • he liked my wife's sheitel

Whatever it was, I don't care. U Da Man.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Greg said...

With all due respect to your wife, I don't think you should bentch gomel. You were never in any physical danger, other than when you were speeding. If anything, you should bentch the cop for stopping you from putting yourself and others in danger.

As for why he didn't give you a ticket, I think the answer is obvious. Hashem did it.

10:34 AM, October 30, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Greg - I wasn't really considering bentching Gomel - I think her point was that this was as close to a miracle that has ever happened to us - we have bad luck.

12:25 PM, October 30, 2006

 
Blogger nyfunnyman said...

buy a radar detector, it works up here(or get a PBA card)

3:35 PM, October 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home