Friday, August 25, 2006

Nothing Better to Do?

So I'm driving around town yesteday, doing some errands, when I pull up to a 4-way stop behind a car, who is the only car at either of the 4 stop signs. He sits there, not moving, for a period of 5 seconds before I finally honk my horn for approximately .5 seconds. Unluckily, there was a cop who was sitting out of sight who proceeded to pull me over. I wasn't sure what exactly I did wrong; after all, I did stop at the stop sign. He proceeded to tell me that in the state of Maryland it is against the law to use your horn except in case of emergency. He asks for my license and registration, and asks me if the address on my license was my current address. I see no reason to lie, so I respond in the negative. He asks how long I have been living at the new address, and, not seeing a reason to lie, again, I say a little over a year. He comes back with a $40 citation for not telling the DMV my new address within 3 months of moving into my new address. Ridiculous.

Morals of the story:
  • This man needs a girlfriend. If he has a girlfriend or a wife, it's not my fault his relationship with her sucks
  • If asked by a cop if the address on your license is correct, ALWAYS SAY YES
  • If you do not heed the above warning, when asked how long you have lived in your new residence, the answer is always LESS THAN 3 MONTHS

Bastard.

8 Comments:

Blogger Danny the Manny said...

What if you live in your car and he can see from the registration how long you have lived at that residence? In that case, there's really nothing you can do.

4:25 PM, August 25, 2006

 
Blogger rtsadam said...

Excellent story. Go drink some scotch!

4:39 PM, August 25, 2006

 
Anonymous Greg said...

That is total BS. If honking your horn would have been a problem, he would have issued you a ticket for that. There really wasn't anything inappropriate in your use of the horn. Too bad you messed up on the residence question. Honestly, how many drug deals went down while he was messing with you, what a waste.

6:15 PM, August 25, 2006

 
Anonymous aishel said...

I'd like to remind you that these are the same police who arrested a couple who asked the police for directions:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9229472/detail.html

9:01 PM, August 26, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Well, it was the county police. But I wouldn't put it past them either...

9:11 PM, August 26, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine just got a ticket for honking his horn in Manhattan. Yes, it is illegal pretty much everywhere to honk except for danger. Please try to learn to obey the various traffic laws for your own safety as well as not to cause a chillul Hashem.

9:35 AM, November 03, 2006

 
Blogger jocko said...

MD code section 22-401


(a) Adequacy of horns.- Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn or other warning device may emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

(b) When to be used.- The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation, give audible warning with his horn, but may not otherwise use the horn when on a highway.

ANYWAY-only nessesaty not emergency is required.
1. is is arguable that the honk was was neszsary for safe operation as this guy was bloking traffic.

2. THAKFULLY A FALURE TO REPORTR A CHEANGE OFADRESS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION AGAINST THE STATE SIMILAR TO A PARKING TICKET LIKE A PARKING TICKET(AS OPPOSED TO CRIM) AND IS THEREFORE A NON POINT VIOLATION.

if this guy is the asshole it would seem he is..i doubt he would come to court to defend the ticket anyway and it would have been either not guilty or dismissed.

glad other traffic stops have gone better.

4:52 AM, December 01, 2006

 
Blogger jocko said...

JOKO=george weiss

i couldnt get it to post without a log in and i dont have one.

4:53 AM, December 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home