Thursday, August 03, 2006

Israel Day 9/10

Setting up for Tisha B'Av services at the Kotel

Day 9 and 10 were grouped into 1 post due to the lack of photo opportunities on Tisha B'av. Yesterday, before the fast, was spent downing mass quanities of water and taking a pre Tisha B'av trip to the Kotel. Some would suggest a more appropriate time to go would've been on Tisha B'Av instead, however, I was told by many to avoid it as it is too much of a social scene. Upon peeking around in the air-conditioned tunnel next to the Kotel, I found a (what seems to be) new part with a great, new, well-organized Seforim collection. I popped a seat in front of the Kotel for some last minute review of Hilchos Tisha B'av.

Anyway, we took a bus from the Old City back to the Central Bus Station, except it took us 30 minutes to get from the Old City to Meah Shearim, so we jumped off and walked back to our apartment. We spent the rest of the afternoon back at the apartment eating and drinking (water). I will say that my pre-fast meal consisting of plain pasta, a bagel, grapes, and pitas left me sailing through the fast with some ease. We davened last night at Ohr Someyach, and this morning at a little Ashkenazi sheteibel that I found. It's surprisingly hard to find an Ashkenazi minyan here in Nachlaot, so after some wandering I have been davening at the aforementioned shteibel. If I felt out of place at R' Bergers, yikes, I'm even more out of place here. That being said, I have been befriended by an elderly man at the shul, who even saved me a seat this morning at davening - so clutch. The rest of the day was spent around the apartment, passing time, etc etc, and break-fast was on a bowl of pasta, pita, and 2 Marzepan ruggelach.


Ahh the "Likavod Shabbos" shave

After the fast I headed to town for a beer/hooka with my old roommate, who is currently learning for the summer at a Lubavitch yeshiva. Speaking of Lubavitch, I'm almost done reading The Rebbe's Army, by Sue Fishkoff, which is basically an in-depth look at the Lubavitch world. I will make comments after completing it.



Regarding the situation, I spoke to some friends who recently made aliyah (same friends we stayed with last Shabbos) and are going to America for a couple weeks to visit family and friends. Since they live in Tel Aviv, and because Nasrallah tonight threatened to bomb Tel Aviv, I suggested they picked a good time to go home. Quite the opposite, they told me. They told me they felt horrible leaving their homeland at this time of crisis; they felt as if they were abandoning their country in a time of need. Definitely an interesting and refreshing thought on the matter.

Plaque remebering those who died in a 1996 bus bombing on Jaffa St.

6 Comments:

Blogger aishel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:21 AM, August 04, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Guranteed that anyone making the decision to bring people home b/c of the matzav is making that decision from America, and not Israel. Anyone that is here and realizes what the situation really is would not cancel a trip.

8:24 AM, August 04, 2006

 
Anonymous Donny said...

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Gonna miss you at KC this week.

8:46 AM, August 04, 2006

 
Blogger aishel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:19 AM, August 04, 2006

 
Anonymous AlexP said...

The parents wanted us home. Most were freaking out (which wasn't unwarranted), and almost all other federation trips were send home within a week of when we had to leave. I was told however that other groups such as Mach-Hach, NCSY (namely kollel), and Achva would be headed home within two weeks of when we had to flee. I guess I'm surprised they're all still there and a bit jealous as well. Just shows that the religiously affiliated groups' perspective is much different than that of a federation who knows nothing other than what their biggest donors are watching on CNN frightens them. I hate viewing the matzav from 6,000 miles away.
When we left just about everyone was crying because we had to leave Israel during a time when the country and its people seemed to need us and our support the most. Wish I could've stayed. Enjoy EY!

3:48 PM, August 04, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its refreshing to hear a first hand account of what the situation is like especially since everyone here is worried about sending their kids to yeshiva/seminary next year

5:40 PM, August 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home