Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Israel Day 16


Day 16, our last day in Israel, was a pretty busy day. We started out with a little packing in the morning/early afternoon. We had our last lunch at Cafe Rimon, followed by the obligatory ice coffe. After dropping some stuff off at a friend's for my brother-in-law, we hit up another ice coffee, and went back to the apartment to pack some more.



In the early evening, we headed to this artsy festival, Chutzot haYotzer, which was being held outside the old city walls. We didn't know much about the festival, aside from the fact that there was a 40 shek entrance fee. As it turned out, this may have been the highlight, or at least the biggest surprise, of our trip. Yeah, it costs 9 bucks to get in, but anyone that is anyone in the Israeli art world was there and selling their stuff, all for very affordable prices. Think of Artscape in Baltimore, with less people, and more afforadable prices. Additionally, they shipped in people from over 30 countries to take part in the international art festival, where items were available from these countries. Funny, America wasn't represented - I guess we steal all of our stuff from the rest of the world.
After meeting Phil in town for a last beer, I realized that I forgot to go to the Kotel from the art festival, so I headed to the Kotel after midnight to say my goodbyes. This was definitely more like a 8.798 on the aforementioned 1-10 scale. So, here I sit, 1:30am, with a wakeup call 4 hours away, and I still have packing, showering, etc to do.


And you thought Slifkin was bad?

I was telling someone at work how much I love Israel. I told her if I had the chance to go anywhere in the world, it would be Israel, hands down. After I told her that a couple weeks ago, I found myself asking myself whether this was just lip service, or whether I really meant it. These past 2.5 weeks made me realize that this was more than just lip service. Damn it, this is the best place on earth. If you've never been, or haven't been in a while, get here. Sure, it's easier said than done, but there's no way I would've rather spent the last 2.5 weeks of my life doing anything else. We are so unbelievably sad knowing that we are leaving in mere hours...

2 Comments:

Blogger SephardiLady said...

Thanks for sharing about your trip (and making us quite jealous ;). Hope you arrive back in the states safely and on a high.

3:38 PM, August 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Israel Day 25 said...

Embarrasing day- lost to DC Dental in playoffs even though their best pitcher didnt even play. I foresee Nadav Spiegler getting alot of smack talked to him at Tov Pizza.

12:09 PM, August 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home