Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What I'm Drinking...

Here's my collection as of today. I will go through the bottles and rate them on a A-F scale. I'm far too lazy to give in depth analyses right now, but if you're wondering about a specific bottle, let me know. Here they are, in no particular order.

  • Glenfiddich 12 - C - ehhh, overrated.
  • Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve - A - one of my favorite bottles; one of the smoothest scotches I've ever tasted, with a long finish too...
  • Glenfiddich 18 Ancient Reserve - B - has a bit of a bite for an 18 year old
  • McClelland's Speyside Single Malt - C - pretty good bottle for the $13.99 I paid for it, although it's only a 5 year old
  • Glen Garioch 10 - C - again, worth it for $15.99, but not worth much more than that - extra long smokey finish
  • Macallan 10 Fine Oak - B+ - a change from the heaviness of the regular sherry line, but enough sherry to get me by
  • Macallan 12 - A- - this bottle is now my measuring stick for all scotch that I drink - the 18 and 25 only get better...
  • Speyburn 10 - C+ - a diamond in the rough in my opinion - I paid $13.99 for it, and it's great to serve guests who don't know a thing about scotch...
  • Balvenie 10 Founders Reserve -B+ - Balvenie is growing on me more and more by the 10 - this is another measuring stick
  • Balvenie 12 Doublewood -A- - Finished in sherry oak, so imagine the 10 but with a hint of sherry - yumm...
  • Aberlour 15 Sherry Wood - A - one of my favorites - huge sherry taste; if only the finish were a drop longer...
  • Oban 14 - B- - I think my expectations were too high - a bit too salty for my liking
  • Bruichladdich 10 -A- - this bottle was my bar-mitzvah into Islay malts - just enough peat to recognize, but not enough to over power
  • Bowmore 12 - B- more of a "right-wing" peatiness, but at least the scotch is still tastable
  • Glenmorangie 12, Madeira Wood Finish - B+ - more Glenmorangie's are too boring for me; this one keeps me interested...
  • Glenlivet 18 - A- - I was brought up drinking Glenlivet (OK, well, not really) - but my scotch endeavors began with Glenlivet, and from what I've tasted: the older the better
  • Chivas Regal 18 - ? - I mean, what Jew doesn't have a bottle of Chivas? I refused to by the 12; it's absolutely horrible - I hear good things about the 18, although, I haven't tried it yet
  • Glenrothes 1992 (13 year) - A- - is it normal that I can taste licorice in this?

3 Comments:

Anonymous opinion said...

Where can you get Speyburn for $13.99. Nice drink to have for those that don't really care about quality but want single malt scotch. I know one guy whose company brought it instead of a bottle of wine. It was much more appreciated.

9:00 AM, July 06, 2006

 
Anonymous kenny said...

no collection is complete without Laphroaig and Lagavulin, Big A. You know better.

10:34 AM, July 17, 2006

 
Anonymous kev said...

Yeah, I'm a little late to be commenting - oopsie. I'd recommend a Caol Ila cask conditioned whisky over the 10yr Laphroaig and maybe even over the Lagavulin - it's wonderful stuff.

6:15 PM, November 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home