Friday, June 09, 2006

Adventures in AlanLaz's Haircuts

After a minor debacle at the Hair Cuttery earlier this week where the overly feminine hairstylist forgot to cut part of my head (don't worry, it's all fixed now), it got me thinking about a classic haircutting story of mine.

So back in my yeshiva days there was a guy at Yeshiva who was known to give great haircuts. It cost something like 15 shek (4 bucks) - an amazing deal. For whatever reason, I didn't go to him because I was afraid I was going to look like a freak. Now, it's not that my hair requires Jonathan Anton to cut it; it was more my irrational fear of looking like a moron. So, I didn't go to him.

Finally, one day, I really really needed a haircut, only had a couple of minutes, and was short on $$$, so I decided to go to him. So, he cuts my hair. No big deal. Shows it to me in the mirror, looks fine, and I was on my way with a new head of hair and only 15 shek poorer. However, I failed to realize something which I have since learned: you can never tell right away if they screwed up on your head. When I went earlier this week, it took me a couple of hours to realize that the dude had missed a part of my head. Anyway, I didn't realize right away that my hair was messed up.

I wake up the following morning and look in the mirror at my head: beautifully trimmed in the sides and back, but way too long up top. I'm not sure if you've paid attention to what Adolf Hitler's hair looked like, but yeah, I looked like him.

I bet I'm the only one that, when looking back on the yeshiva days, has a vivid memory of Hitler.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Donny said...

Laz,

Oh my G-d, that guy is the worst barber I have ever been to. He seriously forgets to cut large portions of hair. I have walked out of the cuttery a number of times after going to that guy, with my hair in the style of a mini-mullet.

The past couple of times I have walked into the Cuttery and he was the only barber there, and he'll be like "Do you want a haircut?" and I'm like, "No, I was just looking for somebody", and then walk out and head straight for the Russian place next to Perns.

Stay away from the Elton John barber!

10:19 AM, June 09, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Haha, I love the fact that you know who he is. Great call on Elton John. I'd say they should fire him - but he's the boss.

10:21 AM, June 09, 2006

 
Blogger aishel said...

I've always been happy with Nissim Seleh. $10 including tip, and I'm always out of there within 10 minutes.

4:39 PM, June 09, 2006

 
Anonymous from toronto said...

the mullet comment is awesome.. can't stop laughin!

10:53 PM, June 10, 2006

 
Anonymous almosty said...

jake and sons has yet to let me down... although there is a huge machlokes as to who is better, jake or the son.

3:54 PM, June 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home