Sunday, May 21, 2006

Marching to the Beat

After just coming back from a Lechaim filled with singing and dancing, I realized a disturbing phenomenon among frum Jews: the inability to be able to keep a steady tempo during the length of a song (I am not claiming this only happens by frum Jews - it may be by humans in general). For whatever reason, there is a tendency to speed things up; sometimes to the point where the ending tempo is 2-3X the original tempo.

Case in point (#1): I am leading davening last Friday night at a local shul, and by "Lo Savoshi" I change the tune to the classic "Bum buna da bump, bum buna da bump..." tune. For whatever reason, the tune just keeps getting faster and faster. I decide that in order to keep the tune to a respectable tempo, I will bang on the bimah to dictate the tempo. Yeah, that didn't work.

Case in point (#2): I am dancing at a lechaim and am excited that someone brings a guitar. I figure that the guitar will be able to keep the tempo steady. For whatever reason, the masses overpower the guitar and what is supposed to be a moderately upbeat niggun turns into a 100m sprint.

We are blessed with many beautiful voices within the frum world/community. If only we were blessed with the ability to keep a tempo. Hashem Yeracheim.

4 Comments:

Anonymous beth said...

what do people know about being married too early?? as long as your happy buddy! and it seems you are! man, i was remembering h.s. soccer days...fun times!!!

4:22 PM, May 21, 2006

 
Blogger jewchick said...

OMG, you are so unbelievably right.
My husband plays for l'chaims as a one man band, and it's crazy - as soon as the guys start to sing they speed it up insanely. I totally can't understand it. Dude, just keep the beat!

5:40 PM, May 21, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

It's ganz shver.

7:38 PM, May 21, 2006

 
Anonymous Donny said...

Baruch Hashem, I have had the pleasure to attend over 100 weddings in my life, keninah horah. I have yet to witness a band that is able to keep up with the group of loud, sweaty, friends of the chosson who are singing/shouting "od yeshama" while dancing the chosson and kallah away from the chuppah.

I believe that if the band were able to keep up with this ridiculous tempo, Moshiah would come instantly. Alas, we are forced to continue our waiting until the boys either slow down their singing or the trumpet players get quicker fingers.

10:44 AM, May 22, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home