Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Powerade

I often do my best thinking during my daily one-hour commute to work. Usually I am too tired to think about anything too serious...so usually I just conjure up far-fetched money-making schemes. This morning, however, I realized something: Powerade is the best invention EVER. I realized this the morning after having laid in bed all day sick - drinking Powerade the entire day. OK, no big deal, there are a lot of things that make me feel better when I'm got the stomach bug: Ginger Ale, rice cakes, saltines, etc. However, the chances of catching me eating/drinking any of the aforementioned items when healthy is slim to none.

I realized, though, that Powerade is a multi-faceted beverage. First of all, I like the fact there are only a couple of flavors (well, colors, as I refer to them as the "Red Powerade" or "Blue Powerade", never the flavors they are associated with). Gatorade, besides not being kosher, has a billion flavors and it's hardly possible that they're all good. Powerade sticks to a few flavors, and they do them well (however, as I will explain later, there is a flavor that I cannot drink).

Here's the true glory of Powerade, besides having amazing commercials:
  • Powerade can be consumed with breakfast
  • Powerade can be consumed with lunch
  • Powerade can be consumed with dinner
  • Powerade can be consumed 3 minutes before bed without leaving one with indigestion
  • Powerade can be consumed before, during, or after a workout
  • Powerade tastes good the way it is
  • Powerade tastes good when diluted with water
  • Powerade tastes good when mixed with alcohol (my experiences have been limited to Vodka)
  • Powerade cures nausea (usually best when watered down)
  • Powerade can help a hangover go away

If anyone can name a product for me that is as multi-faceted as this drink, I'll be very surprised.

Also, I said before that there is one flavor of Powerade which I cannot (well, I can, I just try to avoid if possible) drink. Also mentioned before, Powerade tastes good when mixed with alcohol. Essentially, many Saturday nights in high school consisted of us baseball jocks getting together, buying red Powerade and mixing in with vodka. We called it drinking 'ades (no, not AIDS). Therefore, to this day, I have a bit of a taste aversion to red Powerade. When I taste it, my brain thinks that there is vodka in the Powerade and even though there is no vodka hitting my taste buds, my brain thinks there is. I would assume someone that is a heavy "screwdriver" would have trouble tasting OJ at 5 a.m. Rock on Powerade.

Wow, I can't believe I just posted about Powerade.

16 Comments:

Anonymous aishel said...

Have you had Smartwater?
http://www.drinkbetterwater.com/

8:17 AM, March 07, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Aishel,
Thanks for reading. I haven't had it myself, but I have seen it. Looks expensive...also, wasn't sure about the Kashrus status, but I'm assuming that since you're telling me about it that its good to go.

8:34 AM, March 07, 2006

 
Anonymous aishel said...

It's good to go. It's regular water, but with electrolytes in it. Basically, its Powerade without the calories, which is what makes it so good.

2:22 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Anonymous aishel said...

Oh, I forgot to add...amazingly enough, seven mile market has it on sale pretty often (.99/liter)

2:23 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Anonymous Erica said...

Let's not forget that Powerade does wonders before a fast.

3:19 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Blogger Lanie said...

Are we really having a discussion about PowerAde?

4:07 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Anonymous Erica said...

Lanie,

Actually Powerade is a metaphor for our lives....

4:43 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Blogger Zazy said...

What aobut Yitamin Water? Sure Powerade is better, but Vitamin Water is a good alternative, except that Powerade is more manly

5:18 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Blogger Jack Davidov said...

The simplicity of this post amuses me, bring me your finest meats and bottles of Powerade.

7:53 PM, March 07, 2006

 
Blogger Lanie said...

Erica - true, Powerade is a metaphor for our lives. Just like the plastic that covers the couch can be stripped and then what's revealed under it can shine through.

8:50 AM, March 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Sara said...

Let's not forget that Powerade does wonders before a fast.

That's exactly what I was going to say as I read this. I could never get through Yom Kippur and Tisha B'Av without it.

9:02 AM, March 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Erica said...

Lanie,

What does Shabbos mean to you?

2:38 PM, March 08, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Erica and Lanie: Are you two speaking in some sort of private code?

5:28 PM, March 08, 2006

 
Anonymous aishel said...

You know, I was thinking....its much more socially acceptable to walk around in pickwick carrying a Powerade bottle than a bottle of shnopps, esspecially on Shabbos when there are a lot people walking. V'hamayvin yovin

6:45 PM, March 08, 2006

 
Anonymous Erica said...

Jewboy it is a code, I'll decipher it for you:

Lanie said, "Just like the plastic that covers the couch can be stripped and then what's revealed under it can shine through."

This means, "we need to get rid our husbands for a night and have girl's night out."

Erica said "What does Shabbos mean to you?"

This means, "How is Motzei Shabbos looking for you?"

I am still waiting for her answer....

10:06 PM, March 08, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Trust me, Erica, I am very accomodating. Just last motzei Shabbos we hosted a shower, and I did not leave the apartment.

9:14 AM, March 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home