Friday, March 10, 2006

Am I a Product of my Environment?

I realized another weird phenomenon this morning (which some would consider late last night) during my drive into work.

Anyone that knows me probably knows that I have a bit of a heavy foot when it comes to the gas pedal of the car. Most would agree this is not an anomaly knowing my personality. I’ve had my fair share of speeding tickets, but none in the past year or so, B”H, Bli Ayin Hara. Due to my previous driving record and the fact that I do 100 miles of highway driving a day, I would consider my fear of getting pulled over somewhat rational. However, I realized a certain trick my brain likes to play on me when I drive.

So, for those of you that don’t do much highway driving, there are these little breaks in the median on highways which signs say are for “emergency personnel only.” Basically, what the sign means is they’re only used for prick State Troopers that have nothing better to do or bigger problems in the state to attend to than point a radar gun at people and make their lives miserable. Usually, due to the reflective paint on the cop cars, when one has their headlights on, it is easy to discern if a cop is there. Sometimes, by the time you realize it’s a cop, it’s too late, but a lot of times not. For the longest time I knew which of these “prick stops” people were most likely to have a cop, and I would be extra careful around them.

Surrounding the break in the median where the cops sit are, in most cases, a bunch of reflectors. They’re there for people that are morons to realize where exactly the road ends and the grass starts – apparently the MD State Police thinks its troopers are a bunch of morons and won’t realize the distinction between the two when they’re doing radar. Lately, my brain (keep in mind this is 5:45am) sees the reflection of my headlights’ illumination off of the reflector and magically pieces together a police car, where there often isn’t one. As previously mentioned, when a cop is sitting there, one can usually tell this is the case due to the reflective paint on the side of the car. For whatever reason, my brain always pieces together these dumb reflectors on the side of the median as being in the shape of a cop car which usually causes me to hit the breaks, people to get pissed off and stick random (or not so random) fingers in my direction. Does this happen to any of you?

I think I can either blame this on the amount that I drive, or the fact that I work with individuals with schizophrenia on a daily basis. I also find that I talk to myself more than before I started working here. Am I going crazy?

2 Comments:

Blogger Zazy said...

Thanks for the new post. We can finally change the topic.

2:27 PM, March 10, 2006

 
Blogger CarlLaz said...

Those aren't reflectors you see........they're a reflection of the conversation you had with your father wherein he told you, "One more speeding ticket, and you'll have to...." Well, you fill in the blank if you reflect on that conversation.

9:58 AM, March 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home