Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Why I Blog

I received a comment on a previous post saying that I come off very negatively in my posts. While looking back at my previous posts, I either come off as being very dry (the halacha posts) or negative/angry. That being said, I feel the need to explain the purpose of this blog (with some background).

While I have been frum for some time now, I just recently, for the first time, started living in a community teeming with frum people and frumness. Before this time, I was either living at home (small town) or at UMD - which, while it has a bunch of frum people, these people are clearly not representative of the frum community (Gd I wish they were) at large. I think it is only natural that while living in a frum community for the first time, one will encounter new situations and develop new ideas about the frum community. For the most part, this blog was made to rant about things that peeved me about frumness/the frum community. The point of this blog is not to be representative of my personality - but just a place where I can put down things that bother me about the community. Am I too sensitive? Probably. Am I too quick to judge? Sure. Over opinionated? Yep. I believe that people should be willing to change themselves and their personalities a bit as necessary, but overall, I believe there is a part of our personalities that is fixed. Have a problem with what I say? Tough beans. Quoting an Adam Sandler Skit on his CD "What the Hell Happened to Me?", "I am who I am!"

I am not my blog and my blog is not me. It is simply a place which forces me to really think out things that bother me. Essentially, everything that has bothered me up until this point is on the blog. Anything that isn't here - I either haven't encountered it or it doesn't bother me. Thanks for reading. Just as I don't have a problem sharing how I feel, you should feel the same way about commenting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jewboy said...

The blog is your place to vent, no one has the right to dictate what you write about. We know that you are not about only negativity, this is just your forum to get things off your chest. More power to you.

9:00 AM, February 02, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Thank you for realize that I am about more than just negativity...single malt scotch. Yum.

9:02 AM, February 02, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, point taken, just register my vote (not dictating, jewboy) for a positive piece about frum humanity from your perspective. Otherwise, I do enjoy your blog and check "religiously"

1:03 PM, February 02, 2006

 
Blogger Jack Davidov said...

There are things about the frum community that are mind-numbingly stupid. There are also things that are incredibly uplifting. The reason that I started blogging is that I felt that I had to get some of my feelings out (I also really wanted the opportunity to do some writing). I am also very happy to find that there are people that feel the same way. I think that it is possible to change a community if you try really hard and do it organically.

2:25 PM, February 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home