Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Interesting Phenonmenon

I discovered a personal phenomenon today; one that, while I just realized it existed, has probably been a phenomenon by me for years, and may be one by others as well ("by" used in the Jewish sense). Anyway, so I had some paperwork that had be dropped off on the complete other side of the building that I work in, (huuuuuuuuge building), but I had been waiting till I needed to go that way to go. So, I just happened to need to head in that direction, so I decided to shlep the paper work with me. Only problem was that when I was 10 steps out the door of my office (and probably another 1,000 to go) I realized that I had forgotten the paperwork. The following is this phenomenon which I was alluding to: even though I had gone approximately 1% of my walk to the other side of the building, since I had forgotten the papers, I found that I was trying to convince myself that I didn't really need to turn around, that I could just go down there later! This makes absolutely no sense; clearly it would've been smarter to re-trace my 10 steps and get the paperwork then make a whole other trip down there. However, I still found myself convincing my brain that it was no big deal, that I could just go later. I am curious if this happens to other people as well....basically, do our brains have something about going back, once we have already started a trip somewhere, even when this is the logical thing to do?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Greg said...

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

The other day I had to go to the airport, and literally around the corner from my house, I realized I forgot my wallet and cell phone. It would have taken 2 minutes to turn around and get them, but I thought, "Too late," and kept going. Nothing came of it, but later I was like, "What the heck is wrong with me?!?!?"

9:45 AM, February 22, 2006

 
Anonymous Erica said...

How are you functioning at 4:54 am?

12:37 PM, February 22, 2006

 
Anonymous Greg said...

Take the "www." out of the thing you put into the search box code (just put alanlaz.blogspot.com).

I need to make that thing easier to use.

7:28 PM, February 22, 2006

 
Blogger Jack Davidov said...

For me, this usually happens when I am going on a road trip. I get the car all packed up, start the car, get out of the driveway, and then I realize, "@!#@" I forgot something. Then I start going through mental acrobatics, trying to think of anything else that I forgot. Ultimately, I end up deciding that it isn't worth it and that I will end up forgetting something else even if I turn around.

10:12 PM, February 22, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

erica,

you mean not all normal people wake up at 415-430 for work?

greg,

i took it out, but i still don't think it works.. TBC

10:17 PM, February 22, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home