Saturday, January 14, 2006

Think People, THINK!!

When I first decided to blog, I was worried that I wouldn't have enough to rant about. This worry was alleviated when I realized how many things in life actually piss me off. I almost made it the whole Shabbos without anything bothering me...until Maariv tonight.

So there's a shul that is about a 42 second walk from my apartment. I rarely go there. About once every 3-4 months I go there, only to realize exactly why it's bee 3-4 months since I've been. This following blog is the reason it will be another 3-4 months until I attend again (the amount of time it will take for me to forget this).

So I show up for a 5:50 maariv at about 5:49. The Rav is still in the middle of his Shalosh Seudos speech, so instead of sitting down and shmoozing like the majority of the people waiting for Maariv (disrespectful), I choose the seat I will sit in, and stand over the chair while pretending to listen. At this point, there is no question this seat is mine. I am basically standing on top of the chair, with my foot around of the legs of the chair. Many people pass and do not sit there, realizing it is my chair....until one guy sits down. OK, maybe he just needed to shmooze with this guy for a second...but he must see that it is my seat, right? He shmoozes for a minute, and another minute, and I finally realize that he isn't getting up.

Unbelievable. People just don't think. Myself, or any normal minded individual, would use our mental capacities to make the logical inference that the person standing by the chair (in an already crowded place, nonetheless) is going to sit in the chair. It just boggles me that people refuse to use their brains. It took so much self-control to not strangle the guy. And, the best part is yet to come...

This idiot vacates the seat for approximately 4.3 seconds to get a siddur. In that time, someone did the same thing to him that he did to me. He lost his seat like that. He was visibly peeved that he lost his seat. Maybe his losing of his seat will prevent him from taking my chair next time. I won't be so nice next time...although, like I said, it's gonna be about 3-4 months till I go out. Greasers...

8 Comments:

Blogger Danny the Manny said...

See, here is the thing that's the kicker here. It's not that he didn't notice you, I'm sure he did. It's that he doesn't care. These greasers carry on without a single interest in the rest of mankind. That's why they learn all day without volunteering to do acts of kindness or generosity to back up their holier than thou spirits.

If they took an hour less a day and spent half of it talking to their wives about something other than their (existent or non-existent) children and the other half to fraternize with people who aren't all identical robots to them, they would gain a larger perspective of how the rest of us live. But that's not of the essence to reach shamayim, you see.

Instead, they carry on without paying the tiniest bit of attention to basic tenets of human interaction. I'll tell you what though. If some rabbi gave a shiur about how people need to be more caring about sitting in other people's chairs when lining up for maariv, I bet they would begin to take notice. Only someone with a long, shriveled beard is capable of truly reaching them. Picking up on the subtleties of life, like the rest of us do every day, is not in the packaged deal that they signed up for. Had they known, they would be smoking outside a pizza shop in Brooklyn with their rebellious brethren.

I wonder what their books say about basic decency. Someone's gotta bring it down. Cite some passages. Ah, you're saying good. A shtickle more.

Dan

9:50 PM, January 14, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

That's why I go to the Apollo minyan on motzei Shabbos, dude. It's the way to go.

9:51 PM, January 14, 2006

 
Blogger Y.W. Editor said...

Since there is no email address for you I will answer the post that you tried unsuccesfully to post at yeshivaworld.blogspot.com

I have no problem with Ner Yisroel bringing in all those people with a cross into the Yeshiva...

READ WHAT I WROTE:
"OK. So now that I've criticized everyone I can get back to criticizing YU.
They are a total disgrace to all Frum Yidden.
Bringing a Priest who used to be a Jew into their Bais Hamedrash???!!"

Is it CLEAR now what I said?

Putz!

A Priest who USED TO BE A YID!
Get a life and learn how to READ.

1:33 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Greg said...

Am I missing something? Why didn't you sit down when he went to get a siddur? Or kick him in the teeth when he took your seat in the first place?

Also, if Shabbos was over at 5:49, why was the rabbi still talking at 5:50?

1:37 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Greg, you obviously haven't been to that shul on motzei Shabbos very often. Not that I would suggest that you should start going.

4:47 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

For someone who holds himself to be the chronicle of the yeshiva world, you're sure good at onas devarim, y.w. editor. You've managed to direct your spiteful words at YU, me, AND my brother-in-law. Impressive.

6:27 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Jack Davidov said...

C'mon, that's the law of the land. It's the most chilled out Shul in Baltimore - you can show up late and no one looks at you like you're a shegetz, the people are mostly working people who had once attended yeshiva, and I love the Rabbi. I love that shul. So it's a little hard to find a seat - they're starting to build a new building soon.

2:18 PM, February 02, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Davidov,

I really hope you were joking in the last post. That place is hell. I daven there 1X / 3-4 months, and during that one time I realize exactly why its been 3-4 months.

2:31 PM, February 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home