Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Onlysimchas.com Pet Peeve

I admit it. I check http://www.onlysimchas.com daily. Sometimes, when there's not much to be done at work, numerous times daily. So, after becoming somewhat of an onlysimchas.com pro, I will explain a couple of my peeves about the site. I will give examples from the current front page (as of 9:55am).

Example 1: BENI SCHATZ & NECHAMA LEAH BEN SHALOM - dude, chill out, we're happy your friend got engaged, but put in some lower case letters - it's much easier to read if written "Beni Schatz & Nechama Leah Ben Shalom"

Example 2:Avraham-Rodi Nirski & Shevi Bertman-pic from ur vort - this person has the lower case letters down, but the title of the post is not the place to write "pic from ur vort". If you want to get this message across, title the pictures themselves "VortPic1", etc. If you want to tell the engaged friend that these are the pics from "ur" vort, send them an e-mail, don't post in the title. Oh yeah, and it's "your", not "ur"

Example 3: L'chaim pics!!!!!!! Shoshana Steinmetz & Aaron Rosenzweig - ok we already established this isn't the place to show which of the 26 pre-wedding "events" the pics are from. Additionally, we all know you're glad that your friend got engaged because now you get to go to the vort, lechaim, wedding, and Sheva brachos - all places where you may find your potential suitor. But, we don't really care about that. Save us the !!!!!!!!!! and put that extra spunk in your smile, maybe it will find you your Beshert.

And my personal favorite (AKA: biggest pet peeve) , Example 4: Leah Shadpour & I don't know - like we've established: we're happy your pal Leah got engaged. But do us all a favor and wait 4 more minutes until you've called your little friends and found out what his name is. I'm waiting for the day I see a combination of all of them. That would look something like this:
BERYL!!!!!! SCHMENDRICK!!!!!!! and I DON'T KNOW!!! (UR VORT PICS!!!)

Example of a good post: James McCrady & Lillian Bowers - while there isn't a shot in hell that these people are Jewish, let alone frum, we can clearly read that they are the ones getting engaged.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Lanie said...

Or how about the "Bracha Bayla Basya and ????????????" or "Chaim Dovid Sholmo and Some lucky gal." I contend that if you don't know the people well enough to actually know the NAME of that lucky guy or gal that they are engaged to, you have no right to announce a simcha on onlysimchas.

Maybe I should start my own blog to discuss my anger at your assumption that only people with names like Cohen and Schwartz can be Jewish. Or, I'll leave that to the men in my immediate family.

10:10 AM, January 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Lanie said...

Just for the record, I posted my comment before alanlaz added his addendum of pet peeve #4.

10:46 AM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger ADDeRabbi said...

y'know the 'no last name' song? like if someone's last name is also a first name, there's a little ditty that s/t like 'you can call him r' ovadya, you can call him r' yosef, no last name'.
well, 'you can call her nechama, you can call her leah, you can call her ben, you can call her shalom, no last name'.
just a dumb thought.

11:07 AM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger Zazy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:05 PM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger Zazy said...

The biggest Only Simchas Problem of my generation, are the nerd kids who make up fake ones.

2:07 PM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Quite the humorous post. I share many of these pet peeves. I also enjoy how, it seems that every girl who posts seems say something along the lines of "Shloimie (or whatever), I don't know you, but you got the best, most special, most amazing girl in the world!" Stunning how many best, most special, most amazing girls there are in the world.

4:38 PM, January 18, 2006

 
Anonymous JewGirl said...

Funny Jewboy, I didn't find anything along the lines of "best, most special, most amazing girl in the world" on your onlysimchas page. No wonder, for a kofer like you.

10:18 PM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

can't you guys find a better place to talk, namely, at HOME, instead of on a blog's comments? :)

11:07 PM, January 18, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Dammit, you dumb alanlaz, we'll talk about whatever we want to!

9:34 PM, January 19, 2006

 
Blogger Henchy said...

Funny post. I only check out the onlysimcahs site for a great laugh. My question is, when will they "assur" people putting up posts & pics on onlysimchas in Lakewood?

5:30 PM, January 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home