Thursday, January 05, 2006

My Priorities in Life

So I realized that I have priorities in life. First, of course, is my wife (and extended family). Then I realized, there are 3 things that I take very seriously, things that almost nothing would take me away from, except of course, my wife or extended family. These 3 things are, in no particular order: my learning, my working out (staying under 200 pounds), and my Maryland basketball.

While it sounds ridiculous, it is true. Now, this rant is against some mucho frummies (not all, but some), like a previous chavrusa of mine. To him, its baffling that I view my learning on the same level as MD basketball, therefore, to him, I could be classified as a bum, shaygetz, etc. However, when I say I'm serous about all 3 of these things, that means I am serious. That means, that if I have a chavrusa time from 7-8, i am there from 7 until 8. Not 705 or 710 (of course, sometimes things happen and people run late, however, I always schedule to get there at 7). However, to frummies, that learn alot, learnning is the one thing during the day that they won't feel bad shaving time off of. This chavrusa would never be there before 7:10, and that's when he wouldn't cancel, or say that he needs to leave early. He always tried to push back the chavrusa, which of course I couldn't do, because I usually work out from 815-930; like I said, I take all 3 of those activities seriously. While a frummie could be baffled that I hold MD B-Ball on the same level as learning, it is a high level. However, to him, the thing which he holds highest (learning) is precisely the one thing that he finds dispensable. I believe that this approach is a better approach then not holding Maryland BBall on the same level, but not taking my learning as seriously as I do ( e.g. in my opinion, this chavrusa's approach). In summary, taking things very seriously, even if one of those things is viewed upon negatively by the frum community (assuming it is halachically permissable) is better then not holding that extra thing on the same level, but holding the other things on a lower level.

What do you think? Let me know....

9 Comments:

Blogger brettman024 said...

I must say, this is an argument that is always noticed. And to let you know, I have the same issue. I am caught between the yeshiva'ish world and the terps bball world as well. However, while in college its ok to have those mixed priorities, once a man is grown and takes his life seriously, he realizes that his life should be governed by his learning and visa versa. I might get shunned in the Yeshiva world for the following statement because a lot of times it is seen as an all or nothing deal but the paper with the scores and details will always be there in the morning. Take advantage of the time you have to learn and try to be flexible....But yes, I too struggle with this and schedule my chevrusa's around games.

10:50 PM, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Thanks for the reply Brettman..great to get other's opinions. However, MD basketball in this case is purely circumstantial. You could replace any other thing that may be looked down upon in the yeshivish world, albeit halachically permissable (I suggest you take a look in Igros Moshe where he discusses going to see a sporting event...not totally relevent to the conversation, but definitely interesting).

That being said, I think you are missing my point. My point is not that I struggle because learning is not my focal point in life, because it is.

My problem is that in the yeshivish world, having anything outside of learning as the main emphasis in one's life would be looked down upon. Therefore, the fact that I am crazy about Maryland B-Ball would be frowned upon.

However, that same yeshivish person that would look down upon me for holding that so high, is often times the same person who makes his learning time the ONLY dispensible part of his day. Shaving 10 minutes off here, leaving 10 minutes early there, and thinking nothing twice of it. I get equally as pissed off when a chavrusa gives me a lame ass excuse for being late, as I would get if I didn't get to watch a big MD game due to a blackout. Apikorses you say!?!? No. It bothers me when I miss my learning time, it really, really does.

In summary, I believe I hold my learning at a higher level than many in the yeshivish world. Those people would have trouble admitting that to themselves, because they could not fathom someone who was crazy about such Narishkeit as B-ball being more serious about their learning than they are. Were they to examine how they view their learning schedules, they would realize that the part of their life which they consider to be their focal point is something they may not take as seriously as they would like. Again, I believe that holding many things up on a VERY high level (eg, my learning, staying in shape, and MD bball), even if one of those things is looked down upon in the frum world, is better than just having one's learning as their focal point, but having that focal point not quite as high as they really think they do.

11:21 PM, January 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Greg said...

So basically, you're just anal. ;)

12:25 AM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

well said greg...

4:40 AM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger Danny the Manny said...

I think you have three more recycled rants in you before you shut this whole operation down. By which I mean never update it for months while your readers continue to click back. Blogs are fun at the onset but require you to keep up with them, posting interesting or funny material on a fairly frequent basis. I just don't think that's possible here. The Lazerow/Carter blog fad will die by Jan. 15. That is all.

10:14 AM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Dan, I'm not sure if you're suggesting that I'm too boring of a person to keep a blog going, or just that I will become disinterested. If it is the former, you could be right. If it is the latter, however, I don't think I will lose interest; there are simply too many things on a daily basis that irk me. Chances are that if you bombard me with annoying comments, I will probably keep it going...

10:34 AM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Dan, I predict that you will be wrong. My blog may slow down because I'm starting a new semester in law school, but I mainly do it for myself. I've always enjoyed writing and it's a good outlet for me to do so. Your opinion is interesting, though.

3:36 PM, January 06, 2006

 
Blogger alan's mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:16 PM, January 07, 2006

 
Blogger alan's mom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:17 PM, January 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home