Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Going to a Bar

I've heard many reasons why frum Jews shouldn't go to a bar. Some would say there is an halachic problem in drinking with non-Jews. Some would say its just not what we do as frum people. Fine, if you want to take either of those schools of thought, great. However, one reason given, which came to mind while writng a a previous post, just doesn't sit right with me.

Presumably, as frum people, we wear kippas. As mentioned before, this (according to me) is a mechitza of sorts between Jews and the non-Jews. I would assume that many frum Jews would not compromise their head covering, even in a bar. If you would, I recommend you read my rant on that. Anyway, as I stated previously, I do not recommend going into a bar with a kippa on, as there is likely to be a redneck to two there that has had one too many and is willing to tell you that he hates Jews because our parents make more than his lifelong construction-work father, or something like that. My advice for someone that wishes to go to bar would be to wear a hat. (However, many bars, in order to eliminate "thugs and gangstas" have no-hat policy.)Anyway, I've heard the argument that says something like, "well why would you want to go to a place that you don't feel comfortable wearing a kippa." I don't buy that at all. Obviously, to put yourself in a dangerous situation is prohibited, but I would assume that there would be nothing more than a few off-color comments (of course, wearing a hat would alleviate this problem entirely). Jews, throughout history, have been hated and forced to go many place. From Israel to Bavel, back to Israel, to being dispersed throughout Europe, to being dispersed all over the world (even Puerto Rico thanks to Chabad), we've been everywhere. Why do we move around? It's not because we have ADHD and feel the need for a change of scenery; rather, its because of the simple fact that whereever we go, there is going to be those (sometimes the majority) that don't want us there. When one is born a Jew, they are accepting under the "other duties as assigned" clause on the "contract". It happens to be that nowadays we live in a society where we are more accepted than Jews were 65 years ago. But we can't forget who we are - we are Jews that prevail even though there are those everywhere that don't like us. I'm not suggest that we all run to the nearest bar tzitzis and kippa clad to show ourselves what it is like to be Jewish, but I am also not suggesting running away from the essence of what it is to be Jewish.

5 Comments:

Blogger ADDeRabbi said...

1) i've gone to (upscale) bars wearing a yarmulke and have felt quite comfortable and safe.

2) watch what you say about ADHD...

11:11 AM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

I would certainly say there is a different between going to an upscale bar, and the bars that exist in my hometown, and the bars in College Park. I suppose the majority of the bars that I have been exposed to are crowded drunken festivals.

Not knocking on ADHD at all...it's just a fact that many people with the disorder have trouble staying in the same place for a long period of time...the same could be said for the Jews.

11:19 AM, January 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Greg said...

I think if a bar servers Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, it should be closed down. For health reasons.

11:41 AM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Agreed Greg. That stuff was such a disappointment.

2:04 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look at YD 114

9:55 AM, September 29, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home