Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Door Holding: Common Courtesy or a Pain the #@$%!....?

There is a well-established tradition in American society which I have come to despise: door holding. While most would say it is a common courtesy, I postulate that, by the laws of science, it is au contraire.:

Usually people want to go out of their way to hold a door for you, so they'll stand there and wait for you until you approach door, and then they'll walk away once they have fulfilled this bogus obligation. Most people on the receiving end would be grateful; I would not (read on).

Presumably, the door has began to shut by now. Simple physics tells usthat we exert MORE work when door is closing, then we would if the door was shut (similar to why a head on crash is more devastating than hitting a parked car - 2 opposite velocities). Now, I don't know if you've ever had to push open a door in Building 10 at the NIH campus, but those doors are heeeeavy. Were the person to just have ignored me, I would've had to open the door....OK, no big deal. But now that this kind soul has held it open just long enough for it to slam in my face, I am exerting far too much effort...This leads me to my conclusion that door holding, unless held ENTIRELY, is, in fact, rude.

Quoting my sister on this topic: "Oh and good luck convincing any girl that it's chivalrous to shut a door inher face." Girls ruin all the fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lanie said...

Your sister is very wise.

9:53 AM, January 05, 2006

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Don't be dissing my wife, white boy. But seriously, although your arguement may make some sense, a woman will not take that for an excuse. I'd advise holding the door, especially for one's wife.

3:45 PM, January 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holding the door is more awkward than a dinner with R Fish N Fish and R Minkove.

-PlAuss

11:35 PM, January 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home