Monday, January 16, 2006

Amein Chatufah

Let me start out by addressing a side issue. I am generally against the epidemic of banning things in the orthodox community. However, I'm going to play Rabbi for a moment and make a ban for all of my readers. It is hereby assur (FORBIDDEN!) to read the following blog: http://www.yeshivaworld.blogspot.com . He is a Ba'al Lashon Hara that masks himself as "yeshivishly orthodox" person. Now I realize that whenever books get banned, their sales increase exponentially. I realize that all of you will go and read this blog. But hopefully it will lead you to the same conclusions as mine. Now, on to the juicy stuff...

This post will piggy back my last post as another reason I will not go back to the aforementioned minyan until I forget about the events of this past shabbos.

In halacha there is a concept of an Amein Chatufah (shoresh is Ches Tes Pay = steal, stolen). An Amein Chatufah is something we are warned against, and it generally defined as when the congregations answers Amein before the Sheliach Tzibur is finished with his prayer (See Shulchan Aruch 124 and MB there). We are also warned about an Amein Yesoma (lit. orphan); an Amein in which is said too long after the Shatz completed the bracha or has started the next bracha. Now, I'm a halacha guy, so I'll be the first to admit that these halachos are certainly valid, applicable, and lemaisa. However, if I were to rank the Amein Chatufah issue on the list of issues that need to be addressed at shuls (and certainly this shul), it would be way down on the list. One day I hope to stumble upon a shul that is so holy that this problem is the biggest of its' worries, however, I have yet to find this hayliga shul.

What peeved me about this shul was the overemphasis on the "Amein Chatufah Problem". Posted on the walls of the shul (I counted 4 of them) are these Amein Chatufah signs quoting the aforementioned halachos from the SA and MB in bold letters. I believe that there are only a certain number of things that a Rav and a shul can emphasize at one time for all issues to be addressed. If a Rav of a shul is to stretch himself to thin on a plethora of issues, all will fail. Therefore, it would make sense to work from the top down, and when the Amein Chatufah issue is reached, it should be tackled. But, unfortunately, this shul is not on this level.

This is a shul that is known for its' outrageous amount of talking. This is a shul that 65% of its' attendees arrive more than 20 minutes after davening (Friday night) have arrived. This is a shul where simple Kavod Beis haKnesses issues need to be addressed (ie, cleanliness, smell, upkeep, etc.) It is my belief that if talking were 100% outlawed at this shul, a large % of its' congregation would opt to go to a shul where it was acceptable to talk. Therefore, I do not deem this shul holy enough to make an Amein Chatufah problem a reachable goal. By tackling this problem, we have a shul that is kosher in it's Aniyas Ameinem, but is not kosher in giving kavod or decorum. I'd much rather go to a shul that was a talk-free environment that had a bit of an Amein Chatufah problem...but that's just me...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jewboy said...

Shkoach!! Words of wisdom. You have the tackle certain basic issues before going on to Amen Chatufa. Talking during davening, especially during chazaras Hashatz and Kaddish, is something that shoul be addressed first and foremost at that shul.

8:13 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Zazy said...

If only Frumeh Yidden were dedicated to taking showers like they were with Amen Chatufa.

10:06 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Anonymous yeshivasociety.blogspot.com said...

I read yeshiva world regularly. He's way less mature then his predecessor, yeshiva orthodoxy but where else can i find news relevant to the yeshiva world. (unfortunately these days he's got some really uninteresing hang-ups, I wish he'd get back to BMG politics.)

9:37 AM, February 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home